Monday 8 October 2018

In search of error.

(Oh yea, I'm still here). So A lot of what I do is about finding new ways to break things or discovering exploitable flaws in playback software that create error . Ive also recently got into rebuilding a lot of my old desktop computers so I can research older software and operating systems ( after discovering the flaw in the computer I call the beast). I wanted to recreate  the kind of desktop computer I had circa 2005/2006 but in doing so I found something unexpected ( well actually two unexpecteds but I'd like to keep the exact nature of those to myself for now ) . Clues ? Okay well in those days my desktop was an Amd socket A and a nice ATI graphics card ( I've found more error with those than any other brand - failing Nvidia cards just don't count - failure must be continuous and reproducible ) so I rebuilt the old machine with parts I had which were similar to what I had then , loaded up the os I was using then ( any body remember Mandriva ?) and started to play back video , just for nostalgias sake and then this happened !







But Of course I'm more interested in video than stills and I did manage to haphazardly record this, with a web-cam which doesn't do justice to what I'm seeing on the screen. So Ive tried the s-video out on the video card to a seperate computer with capture card but that isn't working max resolution works out at 640x480 and no definition , so back to the web-cam for now - but if I can capture what I'm seeing I will be very very happy .

This is just to show what might be possible .( But for now if you imagine the stills above made into continuous video like below this is what I'm trying to capture).


ikillerpulse ( requires tomato.py in working directory)

I've been working on this script for the last week or so. What does it do? It takes an input video/s,  converts to a format we can use f...