Monday 14 October 2019

Fubar 2019 > Searching for error in obscure or obsolete operating systems (part three) Xorg poisoning.

So, what exactly do I mean by Xorg Poisoning ? Well this is one of the strangest effects that I've found so far. Using legacy os 4 mini and playing a certain type of h264 encoded mp4 file you can make the whole Xorg graphical server completely freak out then when subsequent videos are played  this is transferred to the video. It's not capturable within the operating system using something like xvidcap or gtk-recordmydesktop and has to be captured using either a capture card or camera .

Clip of enders game playing as normal in smplayer

If we play a certain sort of file in another media player ( kmplayer ) this is what happens ( again, like all files in this section, this was captured using a vga to composite adaptor running into a honestech gadmei usb Tv capture card on a second computer running linuxmint 18.3 and either cheese webcam booth or tvtime and gtk-recordmydesktop) 

 This happens when playing a h264 encoded file in kmplayer leaving the desktop and xorg in this state.

Using linuxmint 18.3 you can read the capture card as an input through cheese webcam booth as in this picture.

Capturing video using cheese webcam booth on linuxmint 18.3
Playing the original video I showed earlier after Xorg poisoning looks like this;

Enders game clip - first pass under xorg poisoning

I can take that video re-encode it to H264 in flowblade ( as Cheese webcam booth encodes to webm Legacy os 4 mini won't play webm) bring it back to the source computer and play that over again, adding to the corruption continuously. The second run would look like this:

Enders game clip - second pass under xorg poisoning 


But of course you can see what the problem is here , the equipment I have loses a lot of the detail from capture to capture – some files work well , others do not eventually turning into mush or just coloured static , unlike in legacy os and ubuntu 10.04 (which I will show later on) this can't be recorded within the os and the capture cards I have lose detail , you can record using a webcam and a program called cheese , sometimes for detail I’ll use a standard webcam other times one of my circuit bent webcams for example:


Capture from legacy os 4 mini using circuit bent playstation 2 eyetoy. 


Until I can find a decent capture card or upscaler I can't really show all of the detail that I'm seeing on the screen during playback - the closest I've come is using a newer playstation 3 webcam which has a fairly sharp focus and runs at 60fps per second as opposed  to the above which is only running at max 15fps - but I'm still pleased with some of the results I'm getting .

A fuller finished version of this technique can be found here - the basic video was captured using the techniques outlined above ( though using a playstation 3 camera running at 60fps set up in front of the source computer for capture into cheese webcam booth and light hex editing of the resulting webm file plus sound ) on my Peertube channel here

The next and final post will cover more recent faults I've found based around the theora codec ogv and also cavs misinterpretation on ubuntu 10.04 - https://crash-stop.blogspot.com/2019/10/fubar-2019-searching-for-error-in_15.html

ikillerpulse ( requires tomato.py in working directory)

I've been working on this script for the last week or so. What does it do? It takes an input video/s,  converts to a format we can use f...