Monday 12 April 2021

Desktop as performative space.

Emperor Variation no 1.

 

 A funny thing happened recently, I started to think about making Vaporwave art and to do that I wanted to base it within the real space of Windows 95, as opposed to just ripping photos from the web and editing them I wanted real hardware and real faults to play with and record ( I like collecting the installation messages and faults to use later and collecting my own material). I don't know why this sudden lurch towards that as opposed to glitch art , though there are a lot of similarities between the two and a hella lot of differences . 

Windows 95 is all but impossible to use on real hardware for me ( I'm not saying it can't be done , I did it but it was unusable for my purposes ) but Win 98 has enough usability, like stability and easy usb access for pendrives, for it to be practical. So I started using it instead and then I noticed how much I like the 4:3 format ( up until recently I'd always used a 4:3 monitor then swapped to 16:9 when one came up in one of my regular visits to the tip , handy for doing widescreen videos and obs-studio capturing . But then I thought well what if I put two 4:3 monitors together as whole desktop , what would that be like especially as I'd started editing photos made with screenshots from the win 98 machine, I wanted that format . 

So I did that and then I noticed well could this be used as a space to work or perform within to compose and edit like a canvas using the elements I was working with like gimp , live capture from the win 98 box and suchlike and yes - it could . For instance these showing various desktop moments :

 





I could push these even further and make video and in fact that was the next stage, first capturing a video of sim city 2000 in action then hex editing that then placing that over a capture of the win 98 desktop ( just to add I use a VGA to HDMI adapter to take the signal from the win 98 box and capture that using a USB 3 HDMI capture card to grab that in obs-studio) .

this is a link to the video on PeerTube ( as I'm trying to gradually move away from large corporate spaces and into the Fediverse  ) https://tube.tchncs.de/videos/watch/0a19e466-e018-4ece-bac7-ed19a2fc5ac2

and the video itself 


 

So is the desktop my new performance space - I wonder, it does offer a host of possibilities to explore.

ikillerpulse ( requires tomato.py in working directory)

I've been working on this script for the last week or so. What does it do? It takes an input video/s,  converts to a format we can use f...