Tuesday 13 April 2021

Wolfenstein variations.

 


In 2018, influenced heavily by NetArt pioneers JODI after discovering and researching  about them for a talk I was going to be giving on glitch art for a conference on Digital Transformation in which I envisaged walking onto the stage and declaring 'I'm here to burn your houses down' I started to work on a series of modifications to one of the first 3d games 'Wolfenstein 3d' by id Software. One version of which was playable and shown at an exhibition in Paris titled Blue /x80 , curated by amongst others Kaspar Ravel and Zoe Stawska ( more information on that here Blue /x80

This was the playable version titled ' How do I get out of this room' as I'd modified the game so much that it was almost impossible to move from the starting point cell out into the game proper to play it - I liked the idea of subverting the game into something frustrating or challenging.


I went further into modifying the game so that I could move out of the starting point cell but objects started to move through walls depending on how I moved in the game.


And of course I could completely remove the walls as well if needed.


And finally completely mess with the text and banner images that the program displayed whilst still leaving the game playable.


It was reasonably easy to find a lot of the guides for modding the game online, though it did seem a little like archeology as nothing stays new or available on the internet for long so it did take a little digging . I was running the game and I think the modding software in dfend reloaded on Windows XP as far as I remember but a lot of my mods were guesswork running through iterations of reading the gamefiles as hex code and altering that then seeing what the mod did to the game if anything. 

Dfend reloaded has a brilliant feature which allows you to save videos of gameplay in a codec called ZMBV which in itself is also one of the nicest codecs to hex edit for example 

Finally there was this video which on reflection is more of a kind of dreamy glitchy vaporwave rampage - you can find that video here on my PeerTube Channel https://tube.tchncs.de/videos/watch/b5669a59-88db-4d39-af36-24c18f72ee78

ikillerpulse ( requires tomato.py in working directory)

I've been working on this script for the last week or so. What does it do? It takes an input video/s,  converts to a format we can use f...